Tuesday, November 3, 2015

When rest doesn't repair

When rest doesn't repair. It's something we as runners dread -time off for an injury. But it's also something we assume is a problem-solver. Unfortunately, some of us learn the painful way (pun intended) that rest is not synonymous with repair



It's been a while since I've posted. It's also been a while since I've been able to run regularly. This past spring I was training for outdoor track (1500m) but became derailed by a nagging lateral leg pain. Not typical IT band, but more of a traveling tightness between my outer thigh, hamstring, and hip. 

I took to the foam roller, ice packs, tennis balls, lacrosse balls, massage, chiropractors, rehab hip/core exercises - but nothing helped. Finally deciding that it was severe enough to warrant time off from training, I stopped for a week in July. No change. Instead, the tightness gradually turned into constant pins and needles as well. I did whatever I could over the summer to figure out what was going wrong to no avail. The only thing that I was sure of was that not moving made it worse. The occasional crippling shooting pains and the constant pins and needles frustrated and exhausted me. I couldn't sleep, couldn't find a comfortable sitting position, and most importantly, couldn't get a moment of stress relief by popping out for a run. 

I'd had enough, I decided that if I wasn't going to get any better with the diligent rehab, I might as well just be running while I figure out this injury. I started running again and one night took a nasty fall because my injured leg decided not to lift up mid stride. One watermelon-sized knee later, I was held up from running for 2 more weeks.  Luckily the damage was superficial and my tendons and bones were unscathed.

Sunny morning run at Marine Bio Lab in Woods Hole
Now it's 3 months since I stopped training, and the swollen bursa below my knee had reduced enough to allow my kneecap back in its regular position, so I started out cautiously. I should mention that several visits to my chiropractor were sprinkled in there and the pins and needles feeling had almost subsided, with no change in the tightness feeling. I built up gradually and have finally reached a point where I feel like I'm really running again. And amazingly, the tightness in my leg is inching (millimetering?) towards feeling normal, it's probably about 25% better than it was when I stopped running back in July. I have a partner in crime - of running and science- in Diana who has also been coming back from injuries. It's nice to have both of us out there again and this morning we had a fantastic beach run in Woods Hole that was delightfully warmer than when we ran there earlier in January!

We finally figured out how to not look directly into the sun.
Anyway, I'm excited to be in a state of repair and getting to the point where I can run long enough for it to tire me out.  I've been very good about containing my excitement and I'm not allowed on the track for a while yet. Although I often find myself daydreaming about track workouts. Who knew that I found so much comfort in discomfort? It seems I'm happiest when I get to put my body through the physical discomfort that is training. I've known this for a long time, but sometimes a long struggle can make you question that again. 

Looks like I'm still head over spikes for this running thing...


Until next time,

Robyn "spikes over heels" Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment