Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Dear Deb: A Letter To My Coach

Dear Deb,

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. This letter is simply to say thank you for all that you gave to me, to my innumerable teammates and to Colby's track and cross country programs. Although I didn't choose Colby simply for the cross country team, you had a big influence on my decision; an athlete's ability to work with a coach is so crucial for the success and happiness of the individual and the team. I immediately knew that I was in good hands with you. You were the adult presence that we wild and crazy college kids needed: someone to tell us when to stop and when to go,  who challenged and supported us and genuinely cared. The girls on the team were my sisters, and you were our mother; I think the credit is due to you that many Colby track and cross country friendships still run so strong after graduation. You created a safe space for us. Personally, I often felt like I had failed miserably or felt confined by my own limitations, but you kept pushing me, and your presence and support kept me going. And when I succeeded and "crushed my goals," as you once said about one of my races, you were so happy and proud. You celebrated all of us, and not just on the track or the course. You made sure that we were on track with our studies. It felt good, and I was always proud, that you ensured that we were students before athletes, and that you expected us to be our best in both aspects of our lives.

You also made sure we enjoyed and appreciated our beautiful surroundings. I loved always visiting your camp for the long runs, the lake time and your incredible coking. I was never bored on our runs, marveling at the fall sunsets or the sparkling icy winters or the random goat on someone's porch. Because of you, I got to know Maine in a way that I had not anticipated when I decided to go to Colby. Running in Rome was always an out of body experience, running by the horses and striving to reach the water at the end of the run. Even Upper and Lower trails became meditative in their own stubborn way.  I never knew I could love Maine as much as I did. All of my best memories from college are from the cross country and track teams.

As a cross country coach now, I appreciate you in another way as well. It is no secret that you knew what you were doing with your athletes, and it was no question for me that I would adapt your training model for my high school runners. My girls have run well and whenever I have a question about how to prepare for a certain race or how to best take care of my girls, I ask myself what you would do. I found success with your support and so I trust that my runners will do the same with my guidance. Although I work with a different demographic, the care of athletes and love of the sport still holds true. If my girls graduate being half as fond of me as we were of you, I will know that I have succeeded.

With you, after graduation

After each season, you would always give each of the seniors a yellow rose for everlasting friendship and thanking them for their contributions to the team. I still have all three of mine, dried up and drooping in my bedroom. This letter is my yellow rose to you: a reminder of the friendship, camaraderie, support, and Mule Love that you gave me and all of my teammates. I wish you happiness, lots of family time and beautiful runs in your retirement. Because of you, I am proud to be a Colby Mule.

Sincerely,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment