Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Runs in Strange Places

Like Robyn, I too headed to warmer ground recently for a work conference. Last week I attended the annual conference for the American Council of Teachers of Foreign Languages in Orlando. It's funny that both Robyn and I had conferences in places where Colby has frequented for Spring Break track trips. And although my runs were not quite as scenic as Robyn's, it was still so nice to get outside in shorts and tank top and feel that sweat dripping down my back.

My first run took me down International Drive, which leads to Universal Studios. This route was not the most beautiful or runner friendly, but there were sidewalks and it was a very busy road so I figured that I would be safe. I was running by myself in a unknown place, so I wanted as many eyes around as possible in case anything happened. I had my iPhone strapped into an arm band, and I jammed out to some Lorde as I passed by strip mall after strip mall. But I wasn't just carrying my phone for my music. Being a young, female runner wearing short shorts and a tank top and running alone, I also carried my phone in case of emergency, if I needed to call my colleagues back at the conference for help, or worse. This is a scary thought, but a necessary one. I was prepared. I wore my Oiselle Distance Shorts for their ample pockets, and stashed my hotel room key and debit card. Just in case.


Let's get real, runners. If you're like me, you go for runs all the time with nothing on you: no phone, no keys, no ID. I often tell myself that I'm close enough to home that someone will help me, or I could outrun a creeper if he/she is chasing me. Running around rural Connecticut does not pose many threats (although a colleague once told me someone was shot while running, so there's that). I worry about falling and injuring myself and being alone, but thankfully and luckily, this has not happened so far. This fall, I finally wised up and got an arm band for my iPhone. Not for me, but for my cross country team. As an adult responsible for fifteen young girls running around, I needed to actually be responsible. My girls are not as fit as I am, and with so many bodies, something is bound to happen. I did not want to be in a position where I couldn't help them, or lose my job because of this. I have since gotten used to wearing my iPhone arm band, and it's not that bad. But over the course of this fall, I have been realizing how important it is to keep yourself safe. Just in case. Bringing a phone or a few bucks on a run is no big deal, and could really save someone one day on a run. Pocketed running bottoms are great for stashing some GU, but those pockets also fit credit cards, keys or even phones. Especially when running in a strange place, it's definitely better to be safe than sorry.

Now, back to my Orlando runs. On the first day, I saw a distant castle and an upside down building.


On day two, I decided to find some green and I ran away from the busy roads (still with my phone and money, of course) toward prettier spaces. I saw some quintessential palm trees, the back of our convention center, and decided to take a selfie to show just how hot it was: close to 80! It was a great trip, and a fun change of pace for my runs. Next up: some turkey trots and serious winter running.



 

Rachel "already vitamin-D deficient" Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment