Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Ordinary people running elite marathon pace

Do you know the feeling you get when you’re out biking and fly down a huge hill at nearly out-of-control, careening, reckless speed? Maybe I was a little too much of a daredevil as a child but I have so many memories of doing this, both in my neighborhood growing up and on our annual vacations to Acadia National Park where we would bike carriage trails. Something about the feeling of speed has always fascinated me. Aren’t you a little surprised that I haven’t ended up in a more dangerous career? I suppose that I’m satisfying this need for speed through my running. Those few moments where you feel like you’re practically gliding and could accelerate more and more: those are what I train for. Sure, I have some goal times that I want to hit in my lifetime, but it’s really all about the feeling.  Recently I have started to get that feeling back. An hour run is now the norm, and my speedwork has progressed past the point of slogging through intervals to something more decent. This past weekend I even stepped foot on a track for the first time in months. I had impeccable timing too, sneaking onto a Catholic boys school track during Open House weekend. Hey, maybe a post-grad female running repeat 800s around their track could boost their applicant pool…some good old bait ‘n switch action.

Back to out-of-control speeds, I found these great videos on a letsrun forum post…


They are Asics ads of people trying to run at elite marathon pace.  The second one is clearly not a fair race because Ryan Hall has a running start, and we all know that even if matched perfectly for speed with someone, they’d smoke us in a sprint if they get a running start.  Right now I’m thinking about those indoor track workouts that I did in college where we’d have a 10m run-in, I'm pretty sure I'd never have come close to hitting my splits without the run-in. Oh wait, we never hit our splits anyways.

What I look like when I run The Saturday Funnies: What I Feel Like When I Run

Until next time,

Robyn “can’t pass as a catholic boy” Runner

No comments:

Post a Comment