Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pacers for Marathons & World Records

Remember back in 2011 when they decided that women’s world records that were performed with male pacers were no longer recognized? Refresher article if not:


Wellll, I’m whistle-blowing a double standard here. To be honest, I was mildly annoyed back in 2011 about this but had long since forgotten about it. When I heard that Haile Gebrselassie was pacing the 2014 London Marathon, I thought aha!, a great point to support my side of the debate.  Yes, I acknowledge that he’s not going the whole way and he’s on the older side, but Geb is a world-class runner and it would be hard to argue that his pacing contribution during the first 30k (18mi) is insignificant. Just something to think about when we glorify the “assistance” of a pacer for women’s marathoning  simply because they can go the whole race when men also have pacers for nearly ¾ of the race.


Side note for fellow running book lovers, check out The Greatest: The Haile Gebrselassie Story



Pneumonia update:
Survived 4 days of skiing with Ben, stopping to catch my breath turned out to be a good time for pictures!
I went for a 3 mile jog today and it didn't kill me, a great surprise after struggling through two 9:00 miles last week. Feels great to be back on my feet.

ffffffrozen

Mont-Tremblant 

No comments:

Post a Comment