Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Ever-Elusive Trifecta


Note: I actually wrote this post back in mid-January, but was distracted by visits from friends (yay Sarah and Colleen!), friends leaving (Abbott come back!), and interview preparations (yuck, business casual).

For some reason the phrase “ever-elusive” always make me think of one of my favorite Family Guy scenes: National Geographic special on Firetrucks. (Link below in case anyone has my same sense of humor)


But back to me (blogging makes me feel self-absorbed sometimes), the trifecta is a silly little thing that I use to define the major components of my life: running, research, relationships. I'm usually a solid 2 for 3 (you don't want to see me at 1/3). Yeah, yeah, I'm a perfectionist, you caught me. It’s funny because I used to get so frustrated chasing the trifecta but it seemed nearly impossible that the three could co-exist. I ran my best cross country and track times when I was an emotional wreck. I accomplished some incredible things in the lab while I was nursing/ignoring/healing a stress fracture and subsequently falling from the top to the bottom quarter of the cross-country team as a senior.

Which brings me to now: at this crossroads of injury-free training, a month of interviewing for PhD neuroscience programs, and family and friends rooting for me. Based on my trifecta theory, I start wondering where will it crack? My bet is on the running (it usually is). In this case it’s not a matter of being out-of-shape or injured, it’s my geographical disadvantage. What’s a girl gotta do to get into a race around here?!


I’ve been trying, unsuccessfully, to get on the track for nearly a month and a half now for a post-collegiate racing debut in the mile. Unfortunately, the running community down here in Balto is just so much sparser and there are practically no opportunities to race something shorter than a half. I tried to race at a U of Maryland Invitational but they “didn’t have space” for me. I call BS because I know an alum who was let in to race the men’s mile, but whatever. On the plus side, I feel like I’ve got the speed back in my legs and plan on trucking along until I can race (hopefully) in an outdoor meet in March/April.

OK – enough of my complaining. Having a lack of race opportunities is hardly cause for whining (and would be majorly insensitive of me given that my poor comrade is healing a broken leg right now). It’s just that my racing blood’s a boilin’ and I want nothing more than to get cranking on the oval. My consolation prize… it seems as though I bestowed upon Baltimore the gift of New England winter weather. Payback? I like to think so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment