Friday, October 18, 2013

Ready, Set....

On Sunday, I'll finally be racing my next half marathon. It's the Newburyport Green Stride Half Marathon, and I'm hoping to do really well. I think I have a good plan, and hopefully it will result in a big PR.

The race starts at 11 AM, so Lucas and I will aim to leave Boston around 8. We'll get there at 9, check in, get our shirts and warm up. My goal is to run 1:35:xx, but I think if I feel good, I could go even faster than that. I've looked at the results from the past two years, and if I stick to my plan, I think I could bust out a top age group finish. I hope to start out at a more conservative pace and pick it up as the miles go on. Since my training went pretty well for the past 9 weeks, I'm hoping for that feeling of the perfect hip extension, passing people, kicking at the end and generally flying. I'll get back to you about what actually happens...



I've already packed up my race day necessities. I usually like to race in spandex, but because I'll be bringing some GU along with me during the race, I needed to change up my bottoms. This time I'll be wearing my new Oiselle Distance short. They have 3 pockets and are really comfortable. I'll definitely be buying more Oiselle apparel soon. In keeping with their bright color, I'm going all out: neon yellow compression socks, my similarly-neon-but-actually-clashing Colby singlet and teal racing flats. I haven't decided which watch I'll use yet. My Garmin is nice because it gives mile splits, but often in races the miles are marked slightly differently than the satellite reads, so it may not be worth it. I can split my other watch myself based on the mile markers on the course. Either way, you'll have no problem seeing me on the course.

Since tonight is the night before the night before my race, I'm headed off to bed to make sure I get those 8+ hours of sleep! I'll be back here soon to let you know how I did, if I lived up to my goals or if I totally bonked.

How do you think I'll do? Leave a comment with a prediction of my time!

1 comment: